Duodenal switch surgery is a combination of a gastric sleeve and gastric bypass treatment for morbid obesity. This procedure is a secondary procedure after a failed gastric band surgery. Duodenal switch surgery makes the stomach smaller, reroutes the intestines, and removes the gallbladder. Duodenal Switch results in more weight loss than other bariatric procedures.
Benefits of Duodenal switch surgery
- Feel full sooner after eating
- Have significant health improvement
- Keep the weight off over the long-term
- Absorb fewer calories from the food you eat
- Lose most of their excess weight within one year
How Duodenal Switch Surgery Works
Duodenal Switches are done by stapling 70% of the stomach off and leaving the rest of the stomach connected as it normally does to the first part of the intestine. Before the intestine reaches the appendix, the intestine is cut and then re-attached at a lower area of the intestine. It prevents the bile and digestive juices only from starting processing the food when it gets further down the intestine resulting in less caloric absorption. Because of the longer period of eating and digestion of food, the food passes through the colon faster, and the patient doesn’t process the full amount of calories he or she normally have.
- It is both restrictive and malabsorptive.
- This procedure uses staples to reduce the size of stomach about 30% of its normal size. It also limits the amount of food you eat in one sitting.
- Food still passes through the stomach to its normal entry into the intestine. It is then re-routed and reconnected farther down the intestine. It creates significant malabsorption of calories.
Amount of Weight Loss from Duodenal Switches
Duodenal Switch successful bariatric surgery produces long-term weight loss and reduces over 50% excess weight. Most studies report over 80% success rates for duodenal switch patients.
Obesity-related disorders show the following cure rate after Duodenal Switch surgery:
- Type 2 Diabetes – 98% cured
- Hyperlipidemia – 99% cured
- Hypertension – 83% cured
- Sleep Apnea – 92% cured
Cost of Surgery
In general, the cost of Duodenal switch surgery varies from $5000 to $9500 depending on other factors and one geographic area to another.