Artificial insemination is the process of injecting sperm directly into a female’s uterus or cervix for achieving a pregnancy through IUI or IVF by the manner other than sexual intercourse. Firstly this method is used as a treatment for infertility.
Why is Artificial Insemination helpful?
Artificial insemination is advantageous for couples or individuals in various circumstances such as
- The male does not have enough sperm for a successful fertilization.
- The man is impotent (erectile dysfunction). Therefore is unable to perform sexual intercourse.
- A woman wants to have a child as a single parent. In such case, she would take help from a sperm donor for being artificially fertilized.
- When the doctor can’t find a cause for infertility. IUI might prefer to a couple that cannot conceive even if no reason for infertility found.
- A couple of same-sex (two women) who wants to raise a child together would serve sperm from a donor. One among the two women would receive via artificial insemination.
- A man could become infertile as consequences of a medical treatment. Several treatments have the risk of infertility, e.g. radiotherapy. Before the procedure, the person could freeze some of his sperm.
- The female might have the seminal fluid allergic reaction. Up to 12% of women suffer from such condition. Due to certain proteins in the sperm, the woman may suffer an allergic reaction when the sperm makes contact. IUI is helpful in such cases.
- Infertile due to cervical component infertility. The cervix should create a bodily fluid that helps sperm commute to the womb. With cervical component infertility, the cervix is not producing enough of this fluid, or it is producing a fluid that contains sperm-killing substances.
- The woman who suffers from Endometriosis. It is a disorder in which the tissues that form the lining of the uterus grows outside the uterine cavity. Over the time, the tissue that broke down had nowhere to go and get trapped in your pelvis. One of the results of this condition is infertility.It is helpful in such cases too.
Cost of Treatment
The cost of treatment for one cycle varies from $300 to $1000 depending on other factors and one geographic area to another. Egg donor and sperm donor charges will be additional to this cost.