Breast Reduction also known as Reduction Mammaplasty, is a surgical procedure to remove excess breast fat, glandular tissue, and skin to achieve a breast size in proportion with your body and to alleviate the discomfort associated with overly large breasts.
Breast Reduction Indications
- Uneven Breasts
- Skin irritation beneath the breasts
- Indentations in the shoulders from tight bra straps
- Breasts that are too large in proportion to the body frame
- Back, neck or shoulder pain caused by the weight of the breasts
- Restriction of physical activity due to the size and weight of the breasts
- Heavy, pendulous breasts with nipples and areolas that point downward
- Dissatisfaction or self-consciousness about the largeness of the breasts
Breast Reduction Procedure
- Breast Reduction surgery is performed under general or local anesthesia.
- Liposuction procedure is performed together with breast reduction to improve the shape of the breast and armpit areas. This process can last for 2 to 5 hours.
- For the procedure, the surgeon removes some of the breast tissue and skin and reposition higher for cosmetic reasons.
- The surgeon makes three surgical cuts: around the areola (the dark area around the nipples), from the areola to down the crease under the breast, and across the lower crease of the breast. Then removes extra fat, skin and breast tissues. Repositions nipple and areola. The areola and nipples are made smaller in size in proportion to the breast. Then the surgeon closes the cuts with stitches to reshape the breast.
Cost of Surgery
Breast Reduction cost varies from $3000 to $8000 depending on other factors and one geographic area to another.
Benefits of Breast Reduction:
Breast Reduction or Reduction Mammaplasty procedure help in alleviating
- Chronic rashes: under the breasts, excessive sweating, infection, etc.
- Chronic Pain: That affects the quality of life. Control on having neck pain, shoulder pain and headaches.
- Cosmetic Problems: Such as persistent bra-strap groove, scar-like lines in the skin (striae), difficulty finding clothes that fit, and low self-confidence. Moreover, it helps in avoiding the unwelcome attention that makes one feel awkward.
- Chronic Nerve Problems: Caused by poor posture, which results in numbness or tingling in arms or hands.