A Chin Augmentation or Mentoplasty is a surgical approach for reshaping or beautifying the size of the chin. It can be done by both ways, either by inserting an implant or by moving or reshaping bone.
Chin Augmentation Procedure
- The Surgeon uses general anesthesia or medicine to numb the area of your body that requires surgery
- An incision is made, either inside the mouth or outside under the chin.
- Then the surgeon creates a pocket in front of the chin bone and below the muscles.
- The surgeon may use real bone or fat tissue, or an implant made out of silicone.
- The implant is usually attached to the bone with sutures or screws.
- A surgeon uses sutures to close the surgical cuts inside the mouth. No scars will be visible.
Benefits of Chin Augmentation
- Balances the face by making the chin longer or bigger compared to the nose
- Strengthening of the weak chin
- Can achieve a more defined jawline.
- People with naturally weak chin in proportion to the facial bone structure.
- People with too prominent chin
- Patients undergoing nose surgery, to achieve facial proportion
- People with distorted chin due to accident or trauma
Surgery requires Reshaping of Bones
- A patient will be under general anesthesia.
- The surgeon makes a cut inside the mouth along the lower gum to view the chin bone.
- The surgeon uses a bone saw or chisel to make a second cut through the jaw bone.
- Wire or screws used to secure the jaw into the new position.
- A surgeon uses sutures or stitches and surgical staples to close the surgical cuts because inside the mouth. No scars will be visible.
Cost of Treatment
The cost of Chin Augmentation varies from $700 to $4000 depending on other factors and one geographic area to another.